According to WordPress, it has been.
Two years ago today, I was fed up with my blogging experiences on Go Daddy, and decided to try WordPress. I’ve never looked back. Not once.
What was I doing on March 5, 2011? I remember I was in training, gearing up for my first St. Patrick’s Day 5K. It was slow going. I had given birth to my 2nd child just 5 short months beforehand, and I remember how different my body had felt, how much harder it was to get back into the routine of running.
It feels like so much has happened in two years. My oldest boy is now in 2nd grade, and my boys are very close, even though they are 5 years apart in age.
I’ve worked on pursuing a career in group fitness instruction, hitting a few bumps in the road along the way, and trying hard to just shake off the residual dirt and keep on going. I haven’t stopped running, completing 5K’s, 10K’s, half-marathons and there are a couple of fulls under my belt- all done out of love, and a passion for the road. I’ve shared a lot of my experiences, some fantastic- others heartbreaking. It’s been an interesting ride to say the least, and even though I can’t boast a large following of my blog, I appreciate each and every reader, and reciprocate every chance I get by reading my follower’s blogs. I always learn something new.
I figured today would be the perfect day to bring up the nomination I received from Merrylandgirl , for the Liebster award. Merrylandgirl’s blog is one I read often; the basis, as said in her own words: “Tales of a suburban mom who likes to talk about pop culture, books, Judaism, family, friendship and anything else that comes to mind.” If you haven’t already, you should check it out! She was recently nominated for the Liebster, and wanted to share the wealth with me. Thank you so much!
So, what is the Liebster? The Liebster is handed out to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. I imagine it’s a way to obtain more readers, and possibly followers, which is always helpful! The rules of this award:
1) Tell 11 things about yourself.
2) Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you.
3) Post 11 questions for those who will be nominated by you.
4) Nominate 11 bloggers.
5) Get in contact with those bloggers to inform them that you nominated them.
So, let’s go right into it! Here are 11 facts about me:
1. I’m a huge planner. I don’t think I’d be able to make it through the day without my trusty planner, and my husband buys me new inserts for it every year at Christmas, because he knows the chaos that will ensue if I don’t have my planner!
2. I’m borderline tomboy. I only wear makeup for special occasions, like weddings. I have no clue how to style my hair, and I don’t think I know much about fashion, either. All this said, I enjoy massages, and I recently got a Groupon deal for a mani/pedi ($20, hello!) and I am loving my nails right now. There are perks to being a girl.
3. I’m trying to get in on a lottery, in order to run the Chicago marathon this year. Day of registration was a huge clusterf*%$; too many people logging on, and not enough spots available (which is crazy, considering there were 45,000 open). Every time I tried to register, I’d get kicked out. The system crashed, and now with only 15,000 spots left, Chicago decided to leave it up to a lottery to be fair. So, I may or may not get the opportunity to run in Chicago this year. Wish me luck!
4. I have issues with my left hip caused by running (bursitis and tendinitis), and the only cure was hot yoga. No joke. I tried physical therapy as well as massage therapy, and two sessions of hot yoga is what cured my hip.
5. I have an insane fear of letting people down.
6. I feel tons of pride while watching my 7 year old read. He loves books, and I know I had a hand in that. Recently he checked out Lord of the Rings from the local library, and he fully intends to read the whole book.
7. I feel the same pride when my 2 year old asks to be read to.
8. I can honestly say without a doubt that my husband is my best friend. It sounds cliche, but it’s true.
9. The Harlem shake cracks me up. I know it’s ridiculous and dumb, but I don’t care. I want to do it!
10. My friends have called me “treehugger”, due to my roots in Oregon, loving the outdoor life and because I’m not much of a girly-girl. However, my husband doesn’t agree. He wishes I’d recycle more and live up to my “treehugger” status.
11. I practically live in my work outs clothes and running shoes. It’s what I wear the majority of the week.
And now, Merrylandgirl’s questions for me:
1. What did you want to be when you grew up?
Lots of things! A teacher. A dancer. An actress. A writer. I still have high hopes when it comes to writing a book. I have one that I hastily completed while joining the Nanowrimo ranks: http://www.nanowrimo.org/. There is still a lot of work to be done, though!
2. What was the best thing that happened to you in 2012?
I finished my 2nd marathon, in Des Moines, shaving a full hour off of the time I’d had in Omaha’s 2011 marathon. I was really proud of that.
3. If you had to perform at a karaoke bar, what song would you sing?
There’s no “have to”. I love to sing karaoke! I usually pick a Jewel song, or Alanis Morrissette. I have fun singing Joan Jett’s “Cherry Bomb”.
4. If you could live someplace else besides where you currently live, where would it be and why?
Someplace with a warmer climate!
5. If you were to take me on a tour of the town where you live, what is a must-see?
The state capitol. I don’t know how many people have said to me, “Isn’t Portland the capitol of Oregon?” Nope. It’s Salem. I know because I grew up there, and I’ve walked by the capitol and been inside it many times. It’s pretty cool, actually. If you are a dare devil, you can make your way to the top of the capitol and hang out with the gold man on top.
6. Given I’m a book addict, tell me your favorite book of all time.
The Stand by Stephen King was the first book that came to mind.
7. What movie, in your opinion, should never ever EVER be remade?
Any and all of them! I hate remakes. I just don’t get the point to it. Why remake a classic?
8. Tell me the last thing you dreamed about (while sleeping), no matter how crazy it sounds.
I can only remember bits and pieces from last night’s dream. I had to take a boat to get to some destination, and was having a difficult time getting on the boat.
9. What is the nicest thing someone did for you recently?
My husband always watches the boys for me, so I can go for a run. He’s great like that.
10. What is your favorite month and why?
Any month that is warm. I hate having to bundle up and wear layers.
11. With the Oscars coming up, I like to ask this question: What movie (of any year) should have won an Oscar, but didn’t? (Or….which movie won but shouldn’t have?
Well, I am shooting myself in the foot by admitting to this… but I love the movie Gigi, which won Best Picture in 1959, along with 9 other awards. Yet, anyone I’ve subjected this movie to doesn’t see those accolades. No, they hate the movie, and are irate with me for even showing it! I agree, it’s a corny movie, and I have to say it’s a stretch that it won the biggest award of the night back in 1959. I’m sure there were other movies that were more deserving.
Questions for my nominees:
1. Are you a reality t.v. watcher? Why or why not?
2. What is the best birthday present you’ve ever received?
3. What is your earliest memory?
4. Do you believe in love at first sight?
5. Does age matter?
6. What would be your dream destination?
7. What is a word you would use to describe yourself?
8. What is your biggest pet peeve?
9. What is the most thrilling thing you’ve ever done?
10. Where do you see yourself in five years?
11. If you were given your last meal, what would that meal encompass?
The bloggers I’d like to nominate for this award:
Now that I’ve completed one of the longest blog posts I’ve ever done (thank you for bearing with me) I want to say again how much I appreciate this award, and I am so glad I get the opportunity to blog! I’ll keep writing… and I hope you keep reading!