It’s Thursday. You know what that means. Please check out my weekly blog group, comprised of a fantastic group of ladies who will dazzle you with insight on various topics. After reading my post, check out their blogs as well. Just click on:
Froggie (Tracey): One frog’s distinct voice on the world around her.
Merry Land Girl (Melissa): Tales of a suburban mom who likes to talk about pop culture, books, Judaism, family, friendship and anything else that comes to mind.
Mom Of Many (Susanna): One Mom’s perspective on life, raising kids, knitting and other unrelated topics.
This week, Melissa decided to keep it Valentine-themed, with: Candy!
Nothing else. No guidelines. No borders. Just candy!
Well, the first thing I think of when I think of candy, is Garfield, and his Halloween special that used to come on every year. I know, I know, it’s a completely different holiday, but I just hear Garfield’s mantra as he gets ready to head out and collect his bounty:
Otherwise, I’d have to say that candy is something I can take or leave, for the most part. I do have a few favorites, but I don’t crave them. Usually at Halloween I will turn into a candy monster and raid my sons’ baskets with wild abandon (yes, I’m that parent), and only come up with a few pieces here or there that get me through my sweet tooth phase. Most of it I can live without and some are down right disgusting, in my humble opinion.
So, what are my favorites? And which ones do I leave lurking in the baskets for someone else to eat?
3. Reese’s Pieces: The only time I eat these is when it’s around me. Or at a movie theatre. Have you ever had RP’s mixed in with popcorn? See, I loathe popcorn, on it’s own. A friend of mine tells me I’m “unAmerican” because of that fact, yet mix that popcorn with some RP’s, and I am in heaven! It’s a delicious sweet/salty mixture that I will fill up on and enjoy.
2. Snickers: I will never buy a whole candy bar, but I love the little bites. I love the caramel. I love the nuts. I love the chocolate. And, a little bite is all you really need.
1. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups: I could eat a lot of these little guys in one sitting if I weren’t careful. I have always enjoyed the mixture of peanut butter and chocolate. I remember eating a lot of them while pregnant with my boys, even though it would upset my stomach. I overlooked that, though. It was worth it!
3. Laffy Taffy: I don’t get the appeal. I hate anything that gets stuck in my teeth (big reason I don’t eat popcorn). It’s too hard when you first try and eat it, then it gets all gooey and stuck all over every crevice in your mouth. I always overlook them.
2. Dark chocolate: I know, it’s good for you. I hate the taste of it, though, and the only time I will eat dark chocolate is when it’s combined with mint. Otherwise, no way.
1. Whoppers: HATE them. With a passion. I don’t like malted anything, let alone on candy balls that break into chalky pieces in your mouth when you bite into them. Eww, eww, EWW.
Whether you have a big stash of Valentine candy waiting for you to devour today, or if you choose to go another route for your holiday fare, I wish you a happy Valentine’s Day!!!!